Services, Policies, and Fees
The Intake Process
- A no-cost, brief screening form (which takes about about 15 minutes and is conducted online or by phone) will be conducted prior to scheduling the initial assessment/consultation session in order to determine the appropriateness of the referral question, likelihood of fit for our services, and to answer your questions not covered in these materials. To get started, complete our online New Patient Referral Form at www.kcanxiety.com/getstarted or call us at (913) 649-8820.
- KCCAT’s Full Assessment Process* is charged as flat rate of $375.00 and includes a clinical interview, a team review of pertinent background information (including prior treatment history, past records and initial contact with other current providers, if applicable), and completion of a series of standardized assessments. Some preliminary forms will be sent to you for completion prior to your first appointment.
- *Option for a Pre-Assessment / Consultation Session
- Not sure if KCCAT services are the right fit for you? We can offer a consultation session for individuals or families prior to pursuing the complete assessment package. In the consultation you will meet with a member of our clinical staff to discuss the general treatment process and review questions you may have. These sessions typically last between 30-45 minutes and are billed by time at our usual provider rate levels. Please note that these meetings will be focused on providing general information, as opposed to in-depth assessment procedures. Thus, the consultation meeting alone will not constitute establishment of a clinical diagnostic or treatment relationship. Those opting to then proceed with scheduling a full clinical assessment with KCCAT will receive a discount off of the full assessment fee.
Depending on your evaluation and/or treatment needs, the first several sessions may also have an assessment and planning focus. However, all appointments after the first session will be charged at our regular service rates.
For child referrals, parents may be asked to attend one or more sessions without their child in attendance.
If a patient is home-bound, the initial assessment will include additional fees for travel time.
Please see important notes regarding insurance. No-interest/no-fee Payment Plans are available to assist families in managing costs.
Fees for the clinic are charged by professional time and have been determined in a manner that takes into account general psychotherapy rates in our region and the levels of expertise and scope of our speciality services. When available and appropriate, portions of treatment may be offered at reduced rates with our training therapists (advanced masters and doctoral students) working under supervision).
Unlike a group private practice, KCCAT is a team-approach specialty facility—with many heads working together as part of your care! While you will be assigned a primary clinician, additional staff may or may not be directly involved in sessions depending on your treatment and scheduling needs. Our center’s uniform professional billing rate and “behind the scenes” coordination and planning efforts helps ensure we can provide a range of services of the highest consistency, quality, and efficiency in managing time, cost, and progress.
The base fee for all fully-licensed professional staff is $170 per 45-minutes time/session.
The base fee for trainee services (advanced masters and doctoral program students)—when available—is $75 per 45-minutes time/session. (All services are closely supervised and directed by our licensed psychologists.)
All fees are prorated in 5-minute increments for services of lesser or greater time (e.g., initial exposure therapy sessions are usually longer than 45 minutes; booster check-ins can be much shorter).
Any additional fees (e.g., possible admission fees to places for community based exposure therapy for yourself/family and, if necessary for the therapist to accompany, the therapist’s fees) will be your responsibility. Additional charges will be discussed ahead of time in planning sessions with your therapist.
Clinicians’ full rate, prorated in five-minute increments, will be charged for:
- In-office therapy
- Home/community-based therapy
- School assessment or 504/IEP meetings
- Requested report writing, letters of opinion, or other documentation services not already included in assessment services.
- Phone Consultations with school or other professionals
- Phone sessions/phone calls
- Services reimbursed by insurance can vary. Please check with your individual policy.
The clinicians’ full rate, prorated in five-minute increments, will be charged for total travel time to and from home/community-based sessions, schools, etc. Please note that these charges are rarely reimbursed by insurance.
- Extra Benefits for Optimal Management and Value of Your Treatment!
- We are committed to providing professional services that promote high efficiency, value, and lasting results. We are always happy to work with you on determining if and when our augment services may be of benefit to your situation and needs. A no-cost benefit of treatment at KCCAT is our ongoing support and maintenance groups, open to current or past patients. Attending these motivating groups help ensure patients stay on track in developing then independently using their treatment skills going forward.
We are also pleased to be able to offer a “Homework Support Service”, available to those who would benefit from extra assistance with ERP homework or monitoring between clinical sessions. This trainee-team service is provided at a nominal fee of $0.50 per minute, including no travel-time fees within the greater Kansas City metro area.
- Cancellations and Late Charges
- Scheduled appointment times are reserved expressly for that person; last-minute cancellations or no-shows prevent other patients from being able to receive needed services in the timeliest manner possible. As such, no-shows and cancelations without 24-hours notice for regular appointments are subject to the full session fee (up-to 45-minutes), except in the case of a true emergency (e.g., hospitalization, car accident). If late, you will have less time together with your therapist and will still be billed for the entire session. Chronic lateness and missed appointments greatly interfere with this therapy. Strategies towards alleviating those difficulties may be addressed with your therapist, and may result in discharge from services.
Please note that KCCAT requires a credit card on file in order to confirm initial assessment appointments in our system. A non–refundable cancellation fee of $100 will be charged unless you contact our office to either cancel or reschedule your assessment with a minimum of 72–hours prior notice.
Cancellation and late fees are not reimbursed by insurance.
Crisis Calls/ Between-appointment Phone Calls/ Phone Sessions other than brief contacts will incur charges prorated in 5-minute increments at that clinicians’ determined rate. Brief contacts are defined as: 5 minutes or less, usually for scheduling or for therapy homework purposes (e.g., pre-arranged check-in calls, clarification of therapy assignments). Please note these charges are rarely reimbursed by insurance.
Payments are to be collected at each session and may be made by check, money order, cash, or credit card (MasterCard, Visa, or Discover only). Any returned checks, returned credit card charges (“charge-back”), or late payments may be subject to a $35 fee. Ongoing noncompliance with payment terms may incur collections charges.
No-interest/no-fee Payment Plans are available to assist families in managing costs.
Important Information Regarding Insurance
Current trends in managed care tend to uniformly place restrictions on reimbursement for behavioral health services, regardless of clinical recommendations. For example, scientific evidence suggests some anxiety treatments, particularly for moderate to severe symptoms, may be more beneficial when sessions are longer in length (e.g., 90-120 minutes) and massed (e.g., daily or several times a week) rather than when they are spaced (e.g., weekly). Although our structure for services can actually be more cost-effective in the long run, insurance may not typically reimburse for such sessions, nor portions of services that are “team based” as offered in supervised training clinics like KCCAT. It is our philosophy that our commitment and time is best spent providing individualized services of the highest quality and confidentiality, while minimizing unnecessary bureaucratic details or delays in treatment.
Thus, like many anxiety specialty programs across the country, we DO NOT bill insurance and ARE NOT participating providers for any insurance plans. Our licensed supervising staff are considered “Out of Network” providers, and we cannot guarantee that insurance companies will reimburse any or all expenses for direct or supervised services. However, we will provide you with a statement suitable for submitting to insurance on your own should you choose to do so. Some insurances will work with their members regarding these treatments, particularly when clinical necessity indicates a need for anxiety or OCD specialty treatment. We will gladly provide brief summaries of the recommended evidenced based treatments and clinical rationale for our treatment plans. While many patients are successful in seeking reimbursement for at least a portion of their therapy fees, please remember that reimbursement is considered a matter between you and your insurance company. Always check with them directly for questions about your coverage.
KCCAT is not a covered provider for either Medicare or Medicaid. If you choose to work with our staff you will have to forego use of these benefits and pay for each treatment session on a fee for service basis. KCCAT will not file any claims for Medicare or Medicaid and you will not be eligible to independently file claims for the services that we provide.
About Between-Session Communication
We instruct patients to contact us when they truly need to, but encourage utilizing our between-session check-in systems in order to gain the most benefit from treatment. You and your therapist will discuss which tools may be most appropriate for your treatment plan (e.g., scheduled phone therapy sessions, online and/or voicemail check-ins). Our approach assures you appropriate levels of support and guidance while accelerating necessary growth in independent coping skills.
Please note that our clinic is not designed to provide immediate appointments, crisis management, or coverage for issues such as substance abuse, active suicidality, violence, psychoses, or more general topics of better fit to other individual or family counseling needs. If at any time we determine or you believe you need a higher level of care or alternate services for these types of issues, we will assist you in locating appropriate referrals. ALWAYS call 911 and/or report to the nearest emergency room for medical care during a psychiatric emergency. (National Suicide Prevention Hotline — 1-800-273-TALK (8255))
Please call us to discuss options for:
- Presentations to health professionals, educators, and community organizations
- Consultation or training contracts for clinical education and/or research purposes